"On The banks of the Snowy River"

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Just a little Aussie history lesson...

One of the places I wanted to visit during my recent holiday In the Snowy Mountain area was Dalgety; mostly I wanted to wander through an antiques shed called "The Old Tin Shed" unfortunatley the only day of the week it closed was Wednesdays... yes I visited on Wednesday.




This little town with a population of around 70 was previously known as Buckley's Crossing ; was once a major stock crossing
when bullock trains were an important mode of transport. It is the only town left on the Snowy River.






Before the bridge was built in 1888 a punt was used to carry stock and travellers across the river.



In 1902 Dalgety was gazetted as a site for our National Capital, Canberra. There is a story going around that the reason it wasn't suitable was because politicians after swimming in the river decided it was too cold . The real reason however, was because it was too close to the Victorian border and the fishing wharfs at Bombala. They wanted the capital to be half way between New South Wales and Victoria. Which is where it is now.

It was disappointing we did not get to browse about the Tin Shed but we spend many hours walking around the historic buildings.

The earliest building is Dalgety House built in 184o.

5 comments:

Carol said...

I don't think that i will ever get back to this area for a long time, not a trip you can do in a day.

Yes Australia is still a very young country, but sadly it is growing up too quickly. It was just lovely to get out of the hustle and bustle of Sydney.

jel said...

sorry ya didn't go to the shop


hope had a good,

one Q? tho where's the snow????

:)

thanks for stopping by

Carol said...

Yes , well, Jel, that was my first question " where is the snow?" it was rather disappointing. We went fully packed with all our winter woolies, we didn't use any of them. In fact it was quite warm. Only at night did it get down to the zeros..

Inday said...

Good morning Carol. I could not sleep, so I thought I will browse around and see what's happening in the blogworld.

I notice the parched area of Dalgety due to its dry river. Lovely place of the Snowy River. It would have been complete if there's at least some water running.

I wonder if Lake Griffin's water is not too cold for the pollies to swim. lol.

Thanks for the visit Carol. I hope your place was not affected.

Carol said...

Good morning to you to Bonnie.. You're up early like me..You didn't breathe in too much dust today did you? Another day of cleaning.

It is funny about Lake Burley Griffin because most times I have been by it there is no water in it,the cattle were grazing as we passed, so I don't think the Pollies would freeze..:)