Larnach Castle Dunedin

Sunday, June 15, 2008


William Larnach
built his castle for his beloved first wife Eliza in 1871. It took him over thirteen years to complete.
He had employed over 200 men, to complete it to shell stage which took three years.

The next 12 years were
spent with European craftsmen creating the beautiful interior.


There was no expense spared this was to be his dream home.


This castle didn't come without sadness; It was both tragic and scandalous. There is quite an eerie feeling as you wander about the second floor..The story goes it has its own resident ghost.

William's first wife died young and tragically leaving him with 6 children to care for. He married his wife's older sister, who also died unexpectantly.

He re married..


However, he became increasingly unhappy with his children
and his third wife; after receiving the news that his wife was having an affair with his son and was carrying his child; William took his own life.







We were not able to use our cameras inside the house so, all the photos you see here I purchased as a souvineer pack. I did take some shots from the tower..

The day I visited was a very wet miserably cold day ..The views from the tower were still magnificent.. I'll add them shortly..













2 comments:

Carol said...

Yes, I know what you are saying, wealth does not make people happy.However, I would like a little more pennies, funny though when anyone asks me what I would do with a million dollars, I never really know what to say..I can never think of anything I really want or need. I think I would give most of it away..

I agree nobody can buy love, real love you cannot buy, it is a gift.

Francine Biere said...

Carol ... I love the photos and the story you shared. I agree with Cami ... it seems that the wealthy often cannot find a shred of happiness.

You are so very talented.